Our Club is a Michigan non-profit corporation. The By-Laws say the purpose of the Club is: To stimulate scientific and educational interest in Geology, Archeology, and related earth sciences: and in lapidary craftsmanship: and through membership in the Club to provide an opportunity for the study of the above-named sciences, and for association among persons interested therein.
The Club and its members are members of the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Societies and thru that of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies.
The Club holds monthly meetings which usually consist of a program related to geology mineralogy, lapidary, or local mining history, and a business meeting.
The Club sponsors field trips usually to local mine piles, and occasionally to other UP locations or outside the area.
The Club’s year to year activities is shaped by the member’s interests. In recent years these have included:
- Collecting minerals of this historic region.
- Learning to identify, prepare, display, and store minerals.
- The outdoors and photography.
- Mining and local history of the Copper Country.
- Micro-mounting mineral specimens.
- Traveling throughout the Keweenaw Peninsula.
- Meeting people with similar interests.
- Learning about the mineral world beyond our local area.
In August the Club sponsors Keweenaw Week, and the Copper Country Gem and Mineral Show as fundraising activities for the Club.